Sunday, April 24, 2016

Nano Log: Writing Communities

One of the most important things that’s helped me along not only this month but through all of my writing journey is the amazing support network that I’ve found among fellow writers. Whether these writers are from Nano events or from Twitter or other writing groups, having them by my side has helped me to grow so much as a writer and a person. Collaboration is one of the most powerful and important tools that we have as humans.

We can collaborate through actual shared projects (such as writing a novel together or creating a written roleplay), we can edit each others’ work, and we can offer general assistance or advice, like letting a friend bounce character ideas off of you.

It’s also great to have writing communities there for support. From the writers in my communities, I’ve learned about writing as a craft and as a business. Not only have I gotten a lot of practical creative advice from them, but it’s from members of these communities that I’ve learned most of what I know about independent editing and self-publishing.

They’ve also been there to offer support in the form of encouragement. It’s not hard to get discouraged when looking at the garbage of a first draft or when drowning in an abundance of plot bunnies. But I’ve always had other writers to pick me up and keep me going.

Not only has surrounding myself with other writers given me opportunity for collaboration, but it’s also helped me to grow and develop, both as a person and as an artist. These other writers have showed me how to move past periods of self-doubt and keep creating.

Whether I need someone to give me feedback on a novel draft or answer worldbuilding questions or offer a friendly dose of encouragement, I’ve always been able to rely on my writing friends. And, of course, writers are just a lot of fun to have around. We’re pretty wacky people, constantly straddling the line between artistry and insanity. Without the other writers I constantly interact with, I don’t think my writing would be nearly as good as it is. I take so much inspiration from other writers during the creative process.


Having these amazing other writers in my life has meant so much to me. I’m blessed to have each of them in my community.

No comments:

Post a Comment