Sunday, November 16, 2014

Nano 2014: Day 16

I was up really late last night because I had guests who apparently get the random urge to play board games until three in the morning. When I'd had enough of the craziness and decided to just go to bed, they all went out for a really early breakfast. Or, as my sister called it, an extremely late dinner (a disappointing one, apparently, since they overcharged for the salad and overcooked the panini).

Because of this late night, today's potential progress was stunted by me sleeping in till almost noon and then not being productive until about 1-1:30.

Either way, I still did get some work done. I didn't do anything to improve my wordcount, really. And the scene that I wrote was definitely the wrong genre. How many contemporary fiction stories can you name that include two major characters being caught in the crossfire when an pirate and an alien dressed as a pirate fight over a treasure map? While the news reports the end of the world in the background? Yeah, that's what I thought. I doubt very much that I'll be able to keep this scene, but it's been fun to write so far (yes, I'm actually still working on it). Writing it is a guilty pleasure for me. I've been enjoying it a lot, but at the same time I'm embarrassed with myself for writing something so ridiculous when my story's supposed to be a serious, realistic teen/young adult book. So I simultaneously want to applaud myself and slam my head against the desk.

I don't know how all of you are doing, but I hope that you upped your wordcounts by writing something worth using. I'm so ashamed. And yet so proud. But still pretty ashamed...

In other news, there's supposed to be a nice view of the Leonid Meteor Shower tonight. I assume this only applies to whichever parts of the world are facing the constellation Leo at the moment. They're supposed to be visible tomorrow (Monday) morning between midnight and dawn and peak Tuesday morning between the same hours. Here are a few articles on the shower for anyone who's interested. Although there's a low number of meteors (comparatively) expected, it's still a big deal for me.

Space.com

Nat Geo

Huffington Post

I really should be getting sleep, but, as I have nothing but noveling to do on those two days, I'll probably deprive myself. I've had a big interest in stars since I was a kid and the thought of a meteor shower really excites me! The good side to this is that I'll get in more noveling hours by staying up. And the shower, of course. If I get a good view of it. I'll try to take photos to post, but I can't guarantee I'll snap anything of quality, so I'll have to see what happens. If I do get something good, I'll post it to my Twitter, which you can find by clicking here.

But I'll probably be sleeping late and therefore making tomorrow and Tuesday a little bit less productive. I hope my late-night writing will make up for the loss during the day.

--Britni M

No comments:

Post a Comment